How to prepare medicinal plants balms or creams
Recipe – Medicinal balm
This is a quick and easy recipe to make your own balm from medicinal plants. You can use any plants of your choice to make a balm for topical application for example on the skin or to calm inflammation. You only need 3 ingredients: plants, oil and beeswax. The use of a plant infusion oil is another option. You can add the essential oil of your choice at the end. As a general rule this recipe keeps well during 1 year and there is no need to add a preservative.
2 cups of medicinal plants of your choice, preferaly chopped
1 cup olive oil or sweet almond oil
2 tablespoons beeswax
- Place the plants and oil in a saucepan, stirring to mix well, and heat slowly for 30 minutes
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to brew overnight and filter
- Add the beeswax to the oil and heat until the wax is melted.
- Leave to cool down until a few minutes and add essential oil of your choice and then pour into a nice tin
- Add beeswax to obtain the desired consistency if needed
You will find below medicinal plants that can be used for the preparation of balms or creams.